
As most of you know, I am of the Jewish faith. I don't go to Shul (Temple) as often as I would like. That means getting into a dress and heels on a Friday night or Saturday morning. Pass. However, that doesn't mean, I don't have a place I go to pray. I do. It's called the Swamp. Here's a little history...
Currently, the stadium may be best known as “The Swamp”. In the early 90s, then-Coach Steve Spurrier noted that "...a swamp is where Gators live. We feel comfortable there, but we hope our opponents feel tentative. A swamp is hot and sticky and can be dangerous. Only Gators get out alive." The name has stuck ever since.
The "Swamp" is open to the public most days. At any given time you can go in there and see various people "running the stairs". I like to go, have a seat in the North end zone (seats with backs to them) and contemplate life. Needless to say, I've had many visits there in the past several weeks. I look out over the field and remember how much smaller it was when I was younger (It now holds 92,000 people. Back in the day, only 60,000). I think about the first football game I took the boys to, all the Gator Growls (homecoming party the Friday night before the homecoming game) I've attended with friends and family or the first time I ever stepped on the "green". Funny as it may sound, but I find a sense of peace here. For this is truly 'my home'.
And next Saturday, my sanctuary will be filled once again to the brim, with fans wearing orange and blue, screaming "It's Great to be A Florida Gator", singing, "We Are the Boys" at the end of the 3rd quarter and hopefully leaving with a smile on their faces, as we beat the pants off of Hawaii.
It's too bad a Rabbi can't conduct services here. For it is here I feel most comfortable.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
My Sanctuary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very different, unique. It wouldn't work for me. :) I like the front of a cruise.
I promise, I will get down there so that you can show me how to be a real Gator one day. Until then, the best I can do is my Gator Shirt on my game day up here in Indiana. I am excited about the upcoming season!
Jamie
I didn't even know Hawaii had a football team. What will you use for the football a pineapple. You can give yourself 1 point now but if you lose you must take away 5 points.
BIG ED
Post a Comment