Saturday, November 7, 2009

Work Much?


From Girl Scouts (yes, I was a Girl Scout) I learned many lessons. The most important one being that I would NEVER grow up to be a salesperson. I couldn't sell those cookies if my life depended on it. And at the time, it felt like it did. I remember my Mom was the "cookie chairman" for the entire Gainesville region. She and I ate more boxes of cookies than I sold. This is because the region's cookies were stored at our house.
I'm not going to go on and on about where I worked; but I will tell you this; I think I have worked many jobs, and I believe I have done them all to the best of my ability. I have been a cashier, a waitress, a cook, an assistant manager of a major pizza place, a teacher's aide, an administrative assistant, a human resources director, a data analyst, a graduate teaching assistant, a records clerk, a billing specialist, a clinic assistant, a manager of medical information systems and technology, and a training and implementation specialist. And while I may have enjoyed all these jobs, for I got to learn so much and meet some very interesting people, there was only 1 job that I truly loved: a Mom.
The hours were long (24/7) and the monetary pay was sparse. But nothing in this world has given me more joy and happiness than in the role I played as a mother. Those of you who have children will relate to this; being a Mom is just a title, for there are many other roles that are played under this umbrella: teacher, cook (I was not so good at this), laundress, chauffer, ethics and moral professor, police officer, maid, disciplinarian, nurse, doctor, driving coach, party planner and vacation planner just to name a few.
As I've said before, I have been blessed with 2 wonderful boys. I would be lying if I told you it was easy raising them, especially as a single Mom for most of their lives. Luckily, I had good friends and family that helped me along the way. But there is not one single, solitary moment of my life as a Mom that I would change for all the money in the world.
I know this job was not only the most special and hardest job I've ever had. I would like to think I did pretty well in this role. Not that the job is over, mind you. It's never ending. And I am so very grateful. As well, I have started a new job recently: Grandma. And I am having so much fun learning about this role.
As I am still unsure about what my next job will be, I take with me all that I have learned from previous positions and hopefully that will make me a better, more useful employee. As I eagerly search for that next job, I am comforted in the fact that I still am and always will be Stephen and Brett's mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a reZOOMee for 2 differnt jobs to me. A new career and a wife, LOL.

BIG ED

Nanette said...

Agree with you 100%

Welcome to the Madness said...

NOT the wife part, Ed. LOL

Unknown said...

it's been a while since you left me that sweet comment on the post i wrote the day that matt left, but here i am finally getting around to thanking you for it. that was a long, hard week, but every comment i received on that post made me feel less and less alone. thank you for taking the time to write to me, it really did help. :]