Thursday, July 17, 2008

Working on Those Night Moves...Because I Can

A friend of mine, a guy as a matter of fact, recently told me one of his all time favorite lines in a song was, " I used her, she used me, but neither one cared, we were gettin' our share..." I told him I really liked that line too, as it reminded me of when I was in high school, "experimenting" as it were. Then he said, "so you were a little slutty back then?" Never mind my response. But it got me to thinking: here we are in the 21st century and we still carry with us those "1950's" values? Guys who sleep around are heroes and women who sleep around are whores.
So here I am again, on my soapbox. And I ask you, how ridiculous is this thinking? Are there those of you still out there who are raising children teaching them this thought process? If not, how is this mind thought still proliferated? It's 2008 folks. When I was growing up, it wasn't just the boys who attached this labels to girls. Girls did it too. But I think girls did it as a defense mechanism for the most part, boys say it for ego. I think the fact that woman now have more control over their bodies (i.e. birth control) than ever before, and can decide for themselves who they are going to sleep with or not sleep with, scares the shit out of men. You should know guys, it scares us too. Rejection is a bitch. But because I CAN choose to sleep with someone, and I CAN choose if I want to call him and see him again or not, does this make me a ____? (fill in your own label here. I won't help)
I honestly hope I get some comments on this, from men and women alike. I would like to hear what the thinking out there is from REAL people, not from scholars and their theories.
For the record, I'm not a feminist or a lesbian. (Not that feminists are lesbians). I don't hate men. I hate all genders equally...lol. I do realize that not all men and women think like this, so please, I beg of you don't be offended. It's just me, blowing off a bit of steam. Because I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no experience here. I had one girlfriend, Pat. We've been married 42 years and she is still the only ONE.

BIG ED