Saturday, April 25, 2009

Princess Laura



Remember a few posts ago I said I like to use this blog as a catharsis? Well I need a catharsis today. I just found out 1 of my best friends, Princess Laura was in a terrible car accident. She has a broken hip and a broken vertebrae in her neck.
My first impulse was to book the first flight out of Gainesville and get to her in New Jersey. Scratch that, no money and no time off from my new job. Send flowers? That just doesn't seem to be enough for me. Laura has become such big part of my life...I feel I need to do more!!
She is so funny. She has an unusual attraction to piano bar boys and dancing poles. She loves to cruise as much as I do, if not more. She says I am half of her brain, as we both think alike in so many ways. We talk on the phone (which we both hate) about the silliness of boys, how to survive the world of IT (she does better than I; she's a Unix freak), and most of the time my neurosis of everything that matters. Oh, did I mention she's a HUGE Donald Duck fan?
I guess in the end, all I can do is call her often and let her know I am here. And pray. She would love that.

postscript: It has been 3 hours since I wrote this post. Being the Jewish woman that I am, I did the only thing I could do as I wait to hear word of my friend: I cleaned. I washed the car, gave Max a bath, mopped the entire house and vacuumed all the rugs. Laura....get well soon!! I'm running out of things to clean! :)

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

me too. bless her heart, her big giant heart. her heart of gold. i shall wear my tiara...

hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Nanette said...

i'm with you and Laura princess. Please stay strong she is going to need our help and strengh on her recovery. We will do what she needs more now, pray.
love you
Nanni

Anonymous said...

Please keep us posted Elaine! We are all thinking of her and her family during this terrible time.
Any news on her brother and Scot yet?
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Have been praying for her and her brother all weekend. I too feel I should be doing more. But for now, this is what she needs. Empress, I am with you. I wore my tiara all day yesterday (en-route from Baltimore to Ohio) to honour my sister Princess.

{{{{HUGS AND KISSES}}}}
Princess Lori

Anonymous said...

I just had a thought that might help you all out. It is small, but sometimes those are the most important gestures.
I have worked in health care industry for a long time and one of the most impressive things I have seen done for families going through something like this is to send a care package. Pack it full of nice kleenex, soup cups (oodles, ramen, etc.), other snack foods, puzzle books, hand cream, chapstick, gift cards for pizza delivery joints, notepads and pencils for them to use while jotting down notes and to use to communicate with one another as they take turns at the bedside, etc. All of those things you would want but would never leave the hospital to go get.

Best wishes to Laura, her family and Scot and his family!